With great beaches and awesome theme parks, many are choosing to make Florida their permanent home, instead of simply a vacation destination. But Florida is also a very large state, with many municipalities, so finding a place to settle down can be a daunting task. Below are five reasons why you would want to choose Fort Myers as your home.
1. Weather. Florida isn’t known as the Sunshine State for nothing. With an average temperature of 75.1 degrees, Fort Myers residents enjoy warm weather year round. Hot summer temperatures are made tolerable by breezes from the Gulf of Mexico. Winters are mild enough to enjoy outdoor activities year round.
2. Retirement. With moderate temperatures Fort Myers was listed as the second best place in the country for retirement by U.S. News and World Report. With a lower cost of incidentals, such as groceries, and a youthful population (Hey, just because you’re retired doesn’t mean you want to be surrounded by old people!), Fort Myers is a great choice even if you aren’t retired – you can truly have your forever home!
3. College Town Vibe. Being the home to Hodges University, Keiser University and the celebrated Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers is the quintessential college town. There are many benefits to living in a college town, such as an abundance of employment opportunities (either within the University itself, or as a result of the demand for goods and services that the influx of college students bring), hotel accommodations (developed for visiting family and alumni), and a walkable “downtown” district, enhanced for the convenience of the students. Residents benefit from these amenities, whether they are students or not.
4. Beaches. Sister city, Fort Myers Beach, is easily accessible via car, and there is even a trolley from Fort Myers’ city center. Neighboring Sanibel Island is well-known for its beautiful abundance of shells, for a beautiful sunset stroll.
5. Entertainment. Entertainment is also abundant in Fort Myers. Home to numerous art galleries and restaurants, the Fort Myers area is also home to the winter training camps for both the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins. If you are a fan of baseball, you might be able to catch some off-season action and maybe even grab an autograph or two!
Fort Myers has so much to offer, it’s easy to see why it is such a great place to live. Living in Fort Myers is like being on a permanent vacation. There are many great places to live in Florida, but Fort Myers has so many enticing, positive reasons to live there, that it is one of the top places to live in Florida.